Judging from the killer bodies we see on Instagram or the inspirational quotes we read on blogs, healthy living is a one-way-ticket to happiness. But evidence suggests otherwise. Peer pressure, eating disorders and a negative self-image are the alarming side-effects of new wellness trends. When does a healthy lifestyle become an unhealthy habit?
- 'I spent 80 days trying to get abs and it ruined my life' - A freelancer writer documents his spartan regiment of exercise and diets in pursuit of a six-pack and finds that it costs him his social life. Graham Isador, Vice.com, December 2017.
- 'Orthorexia: when healthy eating turns against you' - Never heard of 'orthorexia' before or curious about how it divides experts? This article presents a nice overview of the issue. Olga Oksman, The Guardian, September 2015.
- 'Why we fell for clean eating' - Longread that describes the rise and appeal of 'clean eating' and argues how these food beliefs undermine healthy eating behaviour. Bee Wilson, The Guardian, August 2017.
- 'Fat Bias Starts Early and Takes a Serious Toll' - Weight bias, both explicit and implicit, already starts at a very young age and has damaging effects. Jane E. Brody, The New York Times, August 2017.
- 'How Social Media is a Toxic Mirror' - Do we understand the impact of social media on body confidence of teens? Rachel Simmons, Time, August 2016.